CodeTogether for Eclipse Installation Guide
If you want to host a CodeTogether session from Eclipse, you’ll need to install the CodeTogether plugin for Eclipse. You can also join a CodeTogether session directly from Eclipse with the plugin installed.
Note: The Eclipse plugin is not required to join sessions hosted from Eclipse. Participants can join from IntelliJ or VS Code with the corresponding plugin/extension installed, or from a browser with no additional installation required.
Installing the CodeTogether Plugin
CodeTogether requires Eclipse Neon (4.6) or higher to host a session, or Eclipse Photon (4.8) or higher to join a session from Eclipse. If you have the Marketplace Client installed, it’s simple to add CodeTogether to Eclipse. With Eclipse running, drag the Install button from our Eclipse Marketplace listing onto the workbench to initiate the installation. Alternatively, you can install the plugin using the button on the CodeTogether download page.
If you prefer using an Eclipse update site directly, use this URL:
After adding the CodeTogether plugin to your Eclipse IDE, it’s simple to host or join a pair programming session. For more information, see the Getting Started Guide.
Note: If you have a CodeTogether Teams plan, refer to this page for details on how to host sessions and invite participants.
Hosting a Session from Eclipse
- Click Host New Session from the CodeTogether view. Alternatively, you can right-click in the editor and select Start Hosting Session, or select Help > CodeTogether > Start Hosting Session.
- Answer questions related to participant access when prompted, and then click Start.
- Double-click Invite others from the Hosting node in the CodeTogether view or click the Copy Invite URL button. Alternatively, you can click the copy invite URL link at the bottom of the editor. The session URL is copied to the clipboard.
- Share the link with anyone you would like to code with.
Note: You also have the option to start a session when you select text in the editor. A Start link appears below the selection, as well as an Invite URL after starting the session.
Joining a Session from Eclipse
- Click Join Remote Session from the CodeTogether view; or, select Help > CodeTogether > Join Remote Session.
- Paste the Invite URL, enter the name you’ll be identified as in the session, and click OK.