CodeTogether for JetBrains IDEs Installation Guide
If you want to host a CodeTogether session from an IntelliJ-based IDE, you’ll need to install the CodeTogether plugin for IntelliJ. You can also join a CodeTogether session directly from IntelliJ-based IDEs with the plugin installed.
Note: The IntelliJ plugin is not required to join sessions hosted from IntelliJ. Participants can also join from Eclipse or VS Code with the corresponding plugin/extension installed, or from a browser with no additional installation required.
Installing the CodeTogether Plugin
To host a CodeTogether session from an IntelliJ-based IDE, 2019.1 or higher is required. To join a CodeTogether session from an IntelliJ-based IDE, 2019.2 or higher is required.
You have two options when installing the CodeTogether plugin:
Installing the ZIP File in IntelliJ
If you choose to download the ZIP file, complete these steps to add the CodeTogether plugin to your IntelliJ-based IDE.
- In the IDE, go to Settings/Preferences (
Ctrl+Alt+S) and select Plugins.
- On the Plugins page, click the Settings button, and then click Install Plugin from Disk.
- Select the downloaded ZIP file and click OK.
- Start collaborating!
After adding the CodeTogether plugin to your IntelliJ IDE, it’s simple to host or join a pair programming session. For more information, see the Getting Started Guide.
Hosting a Session
- Click Host New Session from the CodeTogether view. Alternatively, you can select Tools > CodeTogether: Start Hosting Session or search for the CodeTogether: Start Hosting Session action.
- Answer questions related to participant access when prompted, and then click Start.
- Click Copy Invite URL from the CodeTogether view or the link at the bottom of the editor. The session URL is copied to the clipboard.
- Share the link with anyone you would like to code with.