CodeTogether for VS Code Installation Guide
If you want to host a CodeTogether session from VS Code, you’ll need to install the CodeTogether extension for VS Code. You can also join a CodeTogether session directly from VS Code with the extension installed.
Note: The VS Code extension is not required to join sessions hosted from VS Code. Participants can join from Eclipse or IntelliJ with the corresponding plugin installed, or from a browser with no additional installation required.
Installing the CodeTogether Extension
CodeTogether requires VS Code 1.44 or higher. You have two options when installing the CodeTogether extension:
- Install via the VS Code marketplace listing.
- Download the VSIX file from the CodeTogether download page and add the file in VS Code.
Installing the VSIX file in VS Code
If you choose to download the VSIX file, complete these steps to add the CodeTogether extension to Visual Studio Code.
- In VS Code, select View > Extensions.
- Click the command drop-down [. . .] and select Install from VSIX, or select Extensions: Install from VSIX from the Command Palette.
- Select the downloaded .vsix file and click Install. A notification displays when installation is complete.
- Start collaborating! See the CodeTogether Getting Started Guide for details.
After adding the CodeTogether extension to your VS Code, it’s simple to host or join a pair programming session.
Hosting a Session from VS Code
To host a session in VS Code:
Click Host New Session from the CodeTogether view (View > Open View > CodeTogether). Alternatively, you can use the CodeTogether: Start Hosting Session command or click CodeTogether in the status bar and select Start Hosting Session.
The Invite URL is automatically copied to the clipboard when the session is started. To obtain the URL later, you can use the CodeTogether: Invite command or click In Session in the status bar and select Copy Session URL to Clipboard.
Joining a Session from VS Code
To join a session from VS Code:
Click Join Remote Session from the CodeTogether view (View > Open View > CodeTogether). Alternatively, you can use the CodeTogether: Join Remote Hosting Session command or click CodeTogether in the status bar and select Join Remote Session.
Then, paste the Invite URL and press Enter.
For more information, see the Getting Started Guide.